I bought the Schwinn Thrasher Bicycle Helmet on Amazon about a year ago when I started commuting to work on my bike. In the past, I wasn’t really a helmet guy. I decided since I was going to be riding on the road through heavy traffic that I should change my ways and get a helmet.
I put this helmet to the test by wearing it during my first bike tour. For the duration of the ride, I wore this thing for 8-10 hours per day. Surprisingly, comfort was never an issue. The helmet features:
- 20 air vents to allow airflow to keep you head cool- Every helmet gets hot. This one did as good as any other that I have worn to keep me cool.
- A dial on the back allows you to tighten and loosen the plastic strap to get the perfect fit- The helmet is one size fits all. I have a pretty small head and it fits me fine with plenty of adjustment both ways.
- A built in visor keeps the sun out of your eyes- The visor is also detachable. I like this feature. It also helps to keep the rain out of your eyes during a light storm.
- Adjustable padding for comfort- The padding is a bit thin but it does the job. You can move the pieces of padding around to suit your head shape.
As a bald guy, I was worried about getting a sunburn through the vents but, because the helmet is pretty thick, the sun is mostly blocked. Sometimes I apply a bit of sunscreen just in case. This isn’t necessary for most people, obviously. I have no complaints with the helmet in terms of comfort.
The Schwinn Thrasher is made of a thick, black, solid foam that can take a beating. The padding inside hasn’t broken down yet and the straps have stayed in place since I adjusted them when I got the helmet. The clips on the ends of the straps feel solid and stay secure. After a year of heavy use, it is still in like new condition.
My only complaint is that the blue plastic outer shell feels a bit flimsy and has a few gaps around the edges. It’s just not attached perfectly. This doesn’t really matter because that piece is just for looks.
One of the reasons I don’t like to wear a bike helmet is because they just look so goofy. This one does too but a bit less than the others I have tried on. It is black on the sides with a dark blue plastic shell. The style is a bit dated but it looks fine for a bike helmet. I don’t mind wearing it.
Final Thoughts on the Schwinn Thrasher Helmet
I would definitely buy this helmet again. It is a quality bike helmet for a price that doesn’t break the bank. I have been riding with it regularly for a year and it has held up surprisingly well.
You can buy the Schwinn Thrasher Helmet on Amazon here:
More from Where The Road Forks
- Bicycle Touring With a Folding Bike: My Pros and Cons List
- Moosetreks Bikepacking Frame Bag Review
- Drop Bars VS. Flat Bars: My Pros and Cons List
- Brooks B17 Saddle Review
- Are Walmart Bikes Any Good? Pros and Cons of Budget Bikes
- How to Convert an Old Mountain Bike Into a Touring Bike
Zachary Friedman is an accomplished travel writer and professional blogger. Since 2011, he has traveled to 66 countries and 6 continents. He founded ‘Where The Road Forks’ in 2017 to provide readers with information and incites based on his travel and outdoor recreation experience and expertise. Zachary is also an avid cyclist and hiker. Living as a digital nomad, Zachary balances his professional life with his passions for hiking, camping, cycling, and worldwide exploration. For a deeper dive into his journey and background, visit the About page. For inquiries and collaborations, please reach out through the Contact page. You can also follow him on Facebook.